Sunday, April 29, 2012

Update 4 from Kolentsi

So much has happened this weekend.  Many of you know that the timing of this trip was to coincide with a conference on human trafficking.  This conference was largely put on by Youth With A Mission (YWAM).  This organization has bases all around the world, and people attended this conference who are working in Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Fiknland, Germany, the Netherlands, and the US.  I guess I represented Bulgaria.

I knew that human traficking was a problem, but had no idea it is on such an incredible scale. Estimates are that there are between 12 to 27 million people in the world held captive, either in sexual or labor slavery.  In the realm of sex trafficking, Greece is the primary destination country for Europe; as I already suspected, Ukraine and Bulgaria are leading source countries.  Bulgaria is an easy target; a bad economy (particularly in the villages) lead girls to make very poor decisions in their desperation for something better, and it is very easy to slip them across the southern border into Greece.

We heard from an organization called A21 which has already set up an office and a house in Sofia.  I will try to make a connection while I am there with their office to learn more about their work with those freed from sexual slavery.  I will not seek out the house for several reasons, but one of the primary ones is the safety and psychological well-being of these women.  There is a distinct danger to them from their former traffickers.

I have been blessed to hear the stories of Christian men and women who are working in various ways around the world to put an end to trafficking.  I am astounded by the great faith they show, often in the face of real danger; the women who work directly with these trafficking survivors are sometimes in danger of being trafficked themselves.  They greatly need the prayers of all Christians for wisdom, strength, and safety as they minister.

Tomorrow I amgoing into Kiev with Jenny Kelly, with the intent to talk to some missionaries who are doing work in the urban setting.  I will be staying at the transition house I visited last week, and will fly out to Sofia early Tuesday morning.  I will likely not be able to post again until I arrive, so your prayers for safe travel are appreciated!  Blessings and a big thank you to all of you who take the time to read these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment