Sunday, April 22, 2012

Update 1 from Kolentsi

It's been a very busy weekend here in Kolentsi!  On Friday, I spent seven hours with Kolya, a resident of nearby Ivankiv, mixing and pouring cement for a new cabin.  Kolya is a hoot!  Shortly after meeting him, he told me in English that he has sixteen kids, but my shocked look caused him to reconsider; he meant six.  His oldest son is studying to be a hydrological engineer, but the other five are still at home.  We've talked quite a bit, and surprisingly my Bulgarian skills are quite helpfulhere - it's very similar to Russian which most Ukrainians speak, close enough that we are generally mutually understandable.

The World Race team left on Saturday morning.  I was especially sad to see them go, because late Saturday morning a group of leaders from Youth With A Mission in Kiev came to the camp for a retreat.  Andrew and I cooked lunch, cleaned up after lunch, cooked dinner, and cleaned up dinner.  In all, it took about seven hours.  I am glad this camp is here, so that groups like this can use it, and that I can help Andrew be a blessing for them.

Today we went into Kiev to pick up an intern at the airport (about a two-hour trip each way).  Joy is from Californiq, but she's spent the last three months working in Riga, Latvia with a ministry to prostitutes.  She works for the lady who will be leading the conference on sex trafficking.  She'll be helping prepare the camp along with Andrew and I for the 40+ attendees we're expecting.

Tomorrow, I'll be headed to the airport again, this time with Jenny.  I don't even know who we're picking up, but on the way we'll be stopping by the mission house Jenny set up, which is a post-institutional home for kid who age out of the orphanages.  I am especially interested to see this aspect of missions, as Lisa and I have discussed opening this exact sort of thing.

Looking forward to serving my Lord tomorrow!  

ny set up, which is a post-institutional home for kids who age out of the orphanages.  I am espc

No comments:

Post a Comment