Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Update 3 from Kolentsi

It's 6PM in Kolentsi, and raining to beat the band.  It's been raining off and on since 2 this afternoon, but it's really coming down now.  The good news is, we finished the concrete floor for the new cabin today!  The bad news, we didn't get much done on the sidewalk leading up to it, which is a good 40 yards (I mean meters, of course - this is Europe!).
We had a little excitement during the pouring process.  Kolya motioned for us to come over to
an area he indicated, but to be very quiet, and said one word - "zaetz."  "Zaek" is the Bulgarian word for rabbit, and indeed that's exactly what he had found.  Apparently this species' defense mechanism is to absolutely freeze, because he didn't move a muscle until Sergei actually grabbed him with his bare hands!  I got the whole thing in pictures.  It's funny, but Sergei took the rabbit over to his house, and I haven't seen it since.  I wonder what's for dinner?

I took advantage of what I thought was the passing of the rain (turned out to be just a short lull) to finally walk into the village of Kolentsi.  I got some great pictures of the local houses, which are colorfully decorated.  Several of the villagers greeted me with a "Dobre den" ("Good day") which I happily returned, and even tried to talk with some of them - though one lady corrected my grammar (rather useless, I'm afraid, since I haven't figured out Bulgarian grammar yet).  Eventually, the road led to the village church: an old, weather-beaten white building that is only opened twice a year, on Christmas and Easter.  A villager told me the church was 150 years old, and I believe it!  If the pictures I took turn out even half as good as I think, with a foreboding dark sky behind the steeple and dome, I'll be very happy!

Speaking of pictures, I haven't posted many because my computer is dead.  Lord willing, I'll be able to figure out what's wrong with it once I get to Bulgaria - and out of the Ukrainian sand.  If not, I'll be posting a whole slew of pictures when I return!

2 comments:

  1. So... How many 22.5" steps are in 5 meters? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find me a metric football field, and I'll tell you. AMERICAN football, that is!

    ReplyDelete