Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cilantro - Western Hills bulletin article 12Feb12


   One of the happiest moments of each new year is when I see the first seeds for sale at Lowe's.  I couldn't help myself this week; I had to pick up several packets, even though it's far too early to plant anything, even indoors.  I'm quite proud of my front herb garden; last year we had an amazing display of Genovese basil, Thai basil, oregano, dill, thyme, tarragon, and rosemary.
   I had given up on cilantro, however.  It's one of my favorite herbs (I'm a big fan of Mexican food!), but every time I'd tried to grow it in the past, it bolted – grew up extremely fast and withered within just a couple of weeks.  I'd tried everything I could think of to pamper it, but nothing worked, so I gave up on it.  One day late last spring, I noticed that Lisa had planted something in an empty spot in the herb bed.  When I asked her what she'd planted, and she told me it was cilantro, I shook my head.  "It won't work; it'll just bolt like it always does."
   To my surprise, not only did the cilantro not bolt, it thrived – and is still alive now, despite the frost we've gotten.  How could this be?  I've done everything in my power to make that stuff grow, and Lisa gets it to work on her first try.
   I think I understand a little better now Paul's words in 1Cor3:6: "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow."  Ultimately, there's nothing I can do to make a seed grow.  Sure, I can make the conditions right for growth to happen, but only God has the power to make things thrive.  And there's a hidden blessing there as well.  I don't have to be responsible for results; rather, God only asks us to plant and water.  The results are up to him.  Praise God for his wisdom and power!

No comments:

Post a Comment